How To Turn Printer Online
It is seen that sometimes an offline status pops up on Mac when trying to take a printout. It suggests that the Mac OS cannot communicate with the connected printer and it is an annoying error for sure, but it could be simply that the printer may be turned off or a USB connection is loose.
Ensure Printer to PC Connectivity
This is the first thing to do when printer offline error appears on any OS. Follow the below steps to make sure that. Prior to proceeding with these steps, make sure the printer is connected by checking if it appears on the list of devices on your system.
For a USB Printer Connectivity
- Switch off the printer by pressing on its power button, and then wait for 5 seconds.
- Unplug the USB cable connected to the device’s back.
- Switch on the printer. It might begin printing queued documents, so wait for it to complete that and turn silent prior to proceeding.
- Wait for 5 seconds, and reconnect the cable to your printer. While at it, ensure the cable sits securely on the USB port of the printer. In case it begins to print, let it complete that before moving on to the next step.
- Retry printing. If it does, you are good to go. If not, read on to learn how to turn printer online over a wireless network.
For a Wireless Printer Connectivity
- Switch off and on the printer and wait for it to become silent.
- In case the connection does not come back after restarting the printer, then try the same for the router after closing all activities on the network. To restart the router, first unplug it from the power source and wait for ten seconds.
- After you connect the router to the power socket, wait for it to establish connectivity to the internet. A light will display indicating the connectivity, so ensure that prior to proceeding.
- Reboot the PC and wait for it to turn inactive. Once it restarts, click on the Apple icon, and choose System Preferences. Then, click on Printers and Scanners to open the list of printers installed on Mac.
- If you can choose your printer from the device list, it is connected. However, if the printer does not show up on the list, and you have no options to make it appear there, then the network connection is causing the printer offline error.
Reset the Printer
- Ensure the printer is inactive prior to proceeding.
- When the device is switched on, unplug the power cord from its back. Disconnect the same from the power outlet. Wait for at least 1 minute.
- Reconnect the power cord into the power socket.
- Re-plug the power cord to your printer’s back.
- In case it does not switch on, press on the power button for that.
- Once it turns on, retry taking the printout. If you cannot, move on to the next step.
Delete Other Printers from Mac
If multiple names of the same printer are listed on the computer, remove unwanted entries and keep the one shown as Idle. Note that the Idle printer status in the list is highlighted in green color. After ensuring that, follow the below steps.
- Open the list of printers from Printers and Scanners.
- Then, remove extra entries of the same printer by choosing one by one and clicking on the minus button shown on the bottom left.
- Then, configure the idle printer as the default one.
- After that, retry printing.
- If the printer offline error persists, move on to the next troubleshooting step.
Clear the Current Print Queue and Re-Add the Printer
Removing the print queue from the said list and adding it back creates a fresh printing session on Mac. Follow the below steps for that:
- Ensure there is internet connection on Mac.
In the list of printers, click on the device, and delete it by clicking on the minus button.
- To add it back onto the list, click on the plus
- Then, choose the printer from a new list that appears, and click on Add
- Click on Use or Print Using.
- Then, choose the available printer or the AirPrint.
- Once it appears as Idle in the printers list, retry printing.
If the offline status persists, proceed to the next step to troubleshoot it.
Reset or Reconfigure the Printing System
- Right-click on a blank area in the list of printers, and choose Reset printing system. Confirm the same upon prompt.
- Type the administrator account’s Username and Password, and choose OK.
- Wait for the process to complete and the said list is empty.
- Add the printer once again to it as explained earlier.
- Retry printing.
If all these steps fail to fix the printer offline error, you might require advanced troubleshooting to deal with the same. In such a case, get in touch with our certified printer support experts for quick assistance.