Common Printer Issues
It is seen that when users try sharing a printer over a LAN network, an Access Denied error may occur:
- If the user doesn’t have administrator login credentials for accessing the network printer user account to share it over the network; and
- If File and Printer Sharing service is not installed in Windows PC.
Read on for troubleshooting the Access Denied error while attempting to share a network printer.
Install File and Printer Sharing
- Click on the Start button, open Control Panel, and search for Network and Sharing Center in the subsequent window.
- On the left side of the new window, click Change Adapter Settings, right-click on LAN icon, choose Properties and select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
- If you do not find the option, click Install and choose Service.
- Click on Add and choose File & Printer Sharing option as mentioned.
- Click OK in the dialog box that pops up and Close it to install the Windows service.
- Reboot the PC if Windows prompts so to complete the installation.
Ensure Printer Connections
- The folder Devices and Printers keeps a list of installed printers in Windows. To open that, press and hold down Windows and R keys to reveal Run dialog box, enter Control Panel and click
- In Control Panel, find Devices and Printers and open that. Your printer icon would show in that list. If not, ensure USB cable interface connected to the computer is seated tightly.
- In case you are connecting the printer to the PC for the first time, though, install its drivers and software using the CD or download the same from the printer manufacturer website.
Configure for Network Sharing
This is a must if your printer is right out of the box or if it is not configured for sharing over a network previously. To check or change sharing status follow the below steps:
- Under Devices and Printers, right-click on the printer icon, and choose Properties.
- Launch Sharing
- Make sure Share this Printer checkbox is selected to enable network sharing and click OK for that.
Connect to the Shared Printer
Once you have shared the network printer, you would have to connect it to another system in the network. For that,
- Open Devices and Printers
- Click on Add Printer
- Choose Add a network printer
- Follow the on-screen prompts for installing the newly shared network printer.